It's been awhile since we've spoken. I have since been to Costa Rica and the Rocky mountains of Colorado since you have heard from me. I am blessed with some incredible travels this year. What beautiful places to visit. I am blown away at the creativity and diversity of God's creation.

Ever since the trip I have had the hardest time getting back on track with work, family time, study time, and a fitness routine. It has reminded me of this old adage: "When possible, work will expand to the time allotted to it."

Ever wonder why road work takes so long to get finished? Ever wonder why retail stores are so busy the 5 days before Christmas when everyone knows it comes on December 25th of each year?

I remember this very well personally in college. I typically knew my entire curriculum for the quarter (because we did it differently at Louisiana Tech University). I knew what papers I had to write, when the tests were, when homework would be do, what had to be prepared before the next class. More often than not (a.k.a. always) I would find myself crunching to prepare and perfect my work up until its due date.
I know what you're thinking. "You procrastinator, your problem is obvious, just do the work!" Though there could be truth to this in some fashion, I found in most scenarios the work would begin early, but the same sense of urgency did not kick in until late. So though there was the opportunity to finish early, I would still take advantage of all the time given, regardless if it was 10 min task or a 10 day task.

This still rings true in my daily work. I believe it is a byproduct of prioritizing. Most customers believe that large companies are unaware of their downfalls and shortcomings that are so glaring obvious. But usually it is a product of them prioritizing the more important profit generating ideas rather than glaring issues that don't drive revenue. Typically those glaring issues have to affect profit enough to get to the top of the radar.

Don't let yourself be fooled, procrastination is a bad thing. But I would be surprised to find any widely successful business that hasn't learned the art of procrastination by prioritization. Try it!


Comments